BOHO Code of Ethics Adopted 12 October 2011
Personal and Professional Integrity
All BOHO staff, board members and volunteers act with honesty, integrity and openness in all their dealings as representatives of the organization. BOHO promotes a community that values respect, fairness and integrity.
BOHO has a clearly stated mission and purpose approved by its Board of Directors. All of BOHO’s programs are designed and carried out to support our mission which is:
To meet, as a community, emergent needs for basic shelter and care not served because of gaps in the Boulder support network.
BOHO has an active board that is responsible for setting the mission and strategic direction and overseeing the finances, operations and policies of the organization. The board ensures that:
- Board members have the requisite skills and experience to carry out their duties and that all members understand and fulfill their governance duties for the benefit of the organization and its public purpose.
- Any conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof are avoided and appropriately managed through disclosure, recusal or other measures.
- The Board Chair and the appropriate staff provide the board with timely and comprehensive reports so that the board can effectively carry out its duties.
- BOHO conducts all transactions and dealings with integrity and honesty
- BOHO promotes working relationships with board members, staff, volunteers and program beneficiaries that are based on mutual respect, fairness and openness.
- BOHO is fair and inclusive in its hiring and promotion of policies and practices for all board, staff and volunteer positions.
- The policies of BOHO are in writing, clearly articulated and officially adopted.
- The resources of BOHO are responsibly and prudently managed.
- BOHO has the capacity to carry out its programs effectively.
BOHO is a secular organization that works in partnership with many secular and religious organizations, respecting their respective beliefs and practices. BOHO does not profess or endorse any religion and does not subscribe to or promulgate the tenets of any religious denomination.
BOHO is knowledgeable of and complies with all laws, regulations and applicable conventions. BOHO also follows these practices:
- Whistle Blower Policy – Any information of a violation of this code of ethics will be reported by any BOHO bard or staff member to the Chair of the Board or to an officer, who will report the same to the executive committee or the board. Any such report or complaint shall be treated seriously and investigated by the executive committee or the board.
- Gift Acceptance Policy – No member of the BOHO board or staff may accept a gift related to his or her role with BOHO, except for gifts without tangible value or normal honoraria for public speaking. BOHO shall accept charitable gifts whose purposes are consistent with BOHO’s mission and policies, except that any gift for a restricted purpose whose initial or residual value is less than $50 or whose restricted purpose is no longer possible or practical will be applied to the general purposes of BOHO.
- Conflict of Interest Policy – Conflicts of interest, real or apparent, which may affect any BOHO board or staff member shall be disclosed to the Chair of the Board, and the board shall, upon receipt of the disclosed facts and completion of any investigation, decide what practices of notice, recusal, or other nature shall apply to situation.
- Non-Discrimination Policy — BOHO shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin (ancestry), religion (creed), gender, sexual orientation/gender identity, age, disability, marital status, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers, selection of vendors, and provisions of services.
BOHO and its subsidiaries manage funds responsibly and prudently. This includes the following considerations:
- A reasonable percentage of our annual budget is spent on programs in pursuance of BOHO’s mission
- An adequate amount of administrative expense is spent to ensure effective accounting systems, internal controls, competent staff, and other expenditures critical to professional management
- Compensation to staff is reasonable and appropriate
- BOHO has reasonable fundraising costs
- BOHO does not accumulate operating funds excessively
- All spending practices and policies are fair, reasonable and appropriate to fulfill the mission of the organization
- All financial reports are factually accurate and complete in material respects
Openness and Disclosure
BOHO provides comprehensive and timely information to the public, the media and its stakeholders, as well as being responsive to requests for information from these parties. All information about the organization will fully and honestly reflect the policies and practices of BOHO. All solicitation materials, financial, organizational and program reports will be complete and accurate measures of BOHO’s activities.
Trustees, employees, interns/students and volunteers of BOHO may not disclose, divulge, or make accessible confidential information belonging to, or obtained through their affiliation with BOHO to any person, including relatives, friends, and business and professional associates, other than to persons who have a legitimate need for such information and to whom BOHO has authorized disclosure. Trustees, employees, interns/students and volunteers shall use confidential information solely for the purpose of performing services as a trustee, employee, intern or volunteer for BOHO. This policy is not intended to prevent disclosure where disclosure is required by law or where information is already publicly available.
Trustees, employees, interns/students and volunteers must exercise good judgment and care at all times to avoid unauthorized or improper disclosure of confidential information. Conversations in public places should be limited to matters that do not pertain to information of a sensitive or confidential nature. In addition, trustees, employees, interns/students and volunteers should be sensitive to the risk of inadvertent disclosure and should, for example, refrain from leaving confidential information on desks or otherwise in plain view and refrain from the use of speaker phones to discuss confidential information if the conversation could be heard by unauthorized persons.
At the end of a trustee’s term in office or upon the termination of an employee’s, intern’s or volunteer’s engagement, he or she shall return, at the request of BOHO, all documents, papers, and other materials, regardless of medium, which may contain or be derived from confidential information, in his or her possession.
BOHO is truthful in its solicitation materials. BOHO respects the privacy concerns of individual donors, organization and foundations. Funds are accepted according to BOHO’s gift acceptance policy and are used in a manner consistent with donors’ intent. BOHO discloses all important and relevant information to potential and current donors. In raising funds BOHO will respect the rights of donors, as follows:
- To be informed of BOHO’s mission and how resources will be used
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on BOHO’s governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities
- To have access to BOHO’s most recent financial reports
- To be assured their gifts with be used for the purposes for which they were given, subject to BOHO’s gift acceptance policy
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition
- To be assured information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by the law
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing BOHO and potential donors will be professional in nature
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that BOHO may wish to share
- To feel free to ask any questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, forthright and truthful answers